- Everyday Sociology Blog has a good post about the difference between journalism and sociology. I had a conversation with Steven about how grad school was treating him where admitted that he found all the math absolutely abhorrent and part of him wishes he had indeed become a starving poli-journo in DC–that way, he would have been able to explore all his favorite topics and make whatever wild, mythologically unsound logically faulty assertions he pleased with impunity. Sometimes I think feminist journalism seems a lot more appealing to me than straight up sociology–but it really is where my heart is, so I’ll try to go all the way (though probably without Adlai).
- Feministe has a good rundown on how Palin plays her femininity to reinforce the traditional gender dichotomy and why it matters.
- Huffington Post is obsessed with Democratic PDA. They’ve got the general Michelle and Barack campaign snuggles edition, a special 16th anniversary edition (wedding photos!) and a few of Joe and Jill all over each other. Don’t look at these if you’re single and/or lonely, seriously–they melted even my cold, cold heart. It was like watching the Ellen/Portia wedding video all over again.
- You know that massive study on bears McCain keeps knockin’ on? Yea, turns out it was actually really important.
- And, finally, Simon Doonan, the man I blame for encouraging every batshit crazy thing I do in my personal life (and love dearly for doing so), talks about short boots.